Sunday, January 17, 2016

Woodgrain Tutorial


hi there....my name is Karen Dunbrook and I am a guest here today at the blog and wanted to show you how to create an easy woodgrain/ barnboard paper.

To see more examples of this technique please visit my blog:



   Step #1



 Spread Elmer's glue in lines over heavy cardstock.  I like to do it in lines
so that when I go back to score it, the lines mimic the woodgrain.
 I haven't tried other kinds of glues but I am sure they would work too.
I used an old paint brush to spread as my glue wouldn't squirt out of the bottle.

Let the glue dry completely and don't worry if it there are blobs of glue on
your cardstock.


Step #2

Turn the cardstock over so the glue side is down.  I used my ScorPal
and scored my cardstock at every 1/4 inch.  You could change the
score line measurements to give a different look but for a card front I find
this works the best.
I start at the middle and score outwards.


Step #3

Turn the cardstock back over onto the right side, then rub Antique Linen
Distress inks over the whole piece spraying with a bit of water to help blend.
I found it best to apply the ink in the same direction as the scoring.



Step #4

Next, rub Weathered Wood and Rusty Hinge randomly over the top, spraying
again with a bit of water to blend the colours.

Finally:  I like to re-score my lines to add more definition.


I hope you enjoyed this mini tutorial and that you will give it a try. 


To see other cards I have made using this technique, check out these links:

Snowflakes on Woodgrain

Peacefilled Christmas

Woodsy Christmas
 
Country Christmas


4 comments:

  1. amazing tutorial.. thanks for sharing. fabulous look

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this technique! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the wood grain detail - quite different.Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete